Demongaze Armour Part 3

Big update for this cosplay! Today I overlaid the foam with Worbla which was also my first ever time using the thermoplastic Worbla!
But before I talk about that I’ll go through my process in order.

Continuing on from my previous post I drew details onto the foam which would become raised details when carved out later. I would draw the pattern on one side of the plate and then transfer it onto the other side using grease proof paper by making stencils. My drawing skills aren’t great when it comes to replicating to the exact detail so the grease proof paper stencil was a great alternative to trying re draw everything.

Mini Tutorial, no images sadly
The stencils were made by drawing one side of the pattern (To the symmetrical point usually the center line of the breastplate) I drew this while the foam was pinned in position on the dress form, this is optional but I think it just helps with perspective. Once the pattern was drawn I would take it off the dress form and then lay grease proof paper over top and push pins into the paper through the foam to hold both in place while I traced the pattern with a ball point pen (marker pens tend to be too thick). I then flipped over the paper and put it onto the blank side of the foam armour piece and pinned the paper into place. Then with my craft knife I lightly  re-‘drew’ the lines with the blade. After finishing I took the paper off the armour piece and used my ball point pen to follow the lines the craft knife had made. And then the whole pattern was transferred! Because I would be cutting along these lines later I didn’t worry about the cuts the knife had made.

Once all pieces had their patterns drawn on them they looked like this.

Drawn detail frontDrawn detail sideDrawn detail back

I then needed to create second layers for each of the pieces that have details (that will be cut out to create depth) on them. Once the second pieces were cut out I glued them to their originals. Below are pictures of the full foam breastplate with raised details ect.

Foam Finish BackFoam Finish sideFoam finish front

And then the wait was over! Worbla Time!
Its surprisingly easier to work with than I had anticipated. It covers everything so nicely, its great to have a material that has a finish that great. Because Worbla cools hard it means you don’t have to accurately pre-shape the foam first because you can heat the overlay of Worbla to the correct shape once its covered.

You’ll notice that the armour now has indented details this is from cutting pieces out of the top layer of the foam patterns. I then pushed the hot worbla into these indents making it all smooth as I went so that I would look clean and natural.
I started with the breast pieces and then moved onto the ‘V neck’ pieces first creating the top half of the breastplate first. None of these are merged (attached) together yet.
Worbla 1
I then moved onto the under boob plate. This piece was the most time consuming of all the pieces I covered today.
Worbla 2
The last piece was the lowermost plate (Tummy/stomach plate or something?) This was the easiest one to make and hardly required any shaping.
Worbla 3
Ignore the Snapchat caption (despite how accurately it portrays my current feelings) This is what the full front breastplate looks like! Yes some pieces have slipped in the photo but its a pretty accurate representation of how it will look when all together.
I did manage to get the top half of the breastplate attached in the center line. I gave up on the underboob plate because I would need another pair of hands and I didn’t have access to that at the time! Also I hadn’t eaten all day and that’s my fault not the progress of evolution. This is 2016 where is my second pair of arms anyway?
The photo the finished top half of the breastplate is below.
Worbla 4
I will try to get the underboob and stomach piece attached tomorrow so I can post a photo of me wearing it tomorrow to social media and in my next update which will likely be next weekend. I have also decided to make the thigh piece from Worbla and craft (2mm) foam. Which means trashing the piece I made from 6mm EVA foam, which I haven’t posted about previously so we’ll pretend that hasn’t happened! I still have the pattern so I wont need to re-pattern luckily. More on that in the next post.. maybe.


And that’s it for this post! I am so so pleased with this weekends progress and can’t wait to pick it up again after school tomorrow. Also I contacted the store I bought my fabric from when I was in England and now know the material I’ll be using for my Young Girl’s Loose Gown. Italian Duchess Satin. I’ll go through and edit my last post on the gown and dress and change it to that when ever I have time.

Thank you for reading
-Nivera

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s