Having only arrived back at home in the past 3 days and only being in NZ for the past 6 I was extremely excited to start on my newest costume,the Demongaze Death Knight Armour from World of Warcraft.
I started patterning on my dressform by using the typical armour making technique by covering the area I wanted to pattern in glad-wrap (Plastic food wrap) and then covering that with painters tape. The glad-wrap acts as a barrier so they you aren’t directly applying the painters tape to the dressform. This way it comes off easily and maintains shape a lot better. The painters tape then acts as your pattern paper, which you draw your patterns on with a vivid marker pen.
I swear the WOW community is the best when it comes to easy reference images! I was luckily enough to be able to find a 3D movable image of the armour I’m working on. The link to that is Here however I’m not sure if it will work on mobile if you wish to view it on that platform. You can also un-equip armour which meant I could take off the shoulder armour and helm as they were in the way of me seeing the breastplate and back plate.
I made a quick (poor) sketch of the armour before starting the patterning. This just helped me to plan out the order I would be making things and how they fit together and to work out seams ect.
Once I had the page set up and zoomed in on the area I was patterning, I set to work.
I started with the breastplates lower section (nicknamed ‘the under boob or mid tit plate’) I can’t find the patterning progress for this plate and that’s probably down to me stuffing up on the first attempt which is fixed now.
I’d just like to quickly say that I’m not bothered about pinning the foam in this build as everything will be covered in black Worbla anyway, had I not been covering it I would be a lot more cautious about this as it does leave a marks and they’re hard to remove.
Next to pattern was main breastplate (or the booby cup as Kumui cosplay would call it!) I will be shaping it with a ball ornament to get a round shape in needed places.. The piece then merges up to the shoulder seam. I’ve left this piece of the armour as painters tape because it will be made from folded Worbla (two layers) this is because shaping foam to that shape could be difficult, the double layer just makes it sturdier.
I also patterned another section of the breastplate which comes up from the center of the under boob armour piece which goes up to meet with the end of the main breastplate piece making a ‘V-neck’ shape when mirrored. (Better photos of that later on)
Next is the 3rd layer of the breastplate which comes off the 2nd layer. I was really careful patterning this piece as I had to make sure it would be long enough to meed the belt but now be so long that it exceed where the belt would sit. And I think I got there!
And that is the breastplate patterned! I only had the backplate to work on. I started with the top which I made sure to connect with the shoulder seam on the breastplate. I then continued with the 2nd and 3rd layers using the same techniques.
After finishing the backplate I went back and made foam copies of the ‘V-neck’ piece as I realized it wouldn’t need to be made from folded (two layers) of Worbla.
And that is what the front looks like! The painters tape section will be mirrored on the other side with Worbla so you’ll just have to be that little bit imaginative for now!
Above is the finished front and back armour pieces.
The bottom two layers of the breastplate and backplate need another layer so that I can add depth details but I will explain that more in my next post. I’ll be getting sculpting materials Tuesday so that I can add the Worbla over top of the foam and start the molding and shaping process.
And that’s the first official progress report on this cosplay.
Thank you for reading