I have had an amazing six weeks in England, seeing family again, looking at university’s, going to various museums in London and spending all of my money at Goldbrick fabrics.
I feel like I have achieved at lot since being there. I now have a better understanding of what courses I’m interested in as well as the direction I want to explore when it comes to making costumes and the skills I learn through those projects. I also feel like I have revived this blog with more frequent posts even if they are just about me rambling over period costumes. There will be a lot more posts this year with the large amount of costumes I have decided to make as well as the courses I have been accepted into such as National Youth Drama School which is being held in April.
My last full day in England was spent at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre a place I have dreamed about visiting ever since I got into acting when I was 13 or so.
It was an amazing experience and I loved the tour! I was semi star struck you could say when I saw that Janet Arnold the author of the ‘Patterns of Fashion’ series had a plaque dedicated to her! I didn’t realize that her patterns are actually used when making some of costumes for the globe. Those costumes which are all hand sewn might I add!!! Which is an amazing task considering this is what they have achieved through using sewing techniques from Shakespeare’s time.
In other news, we’ve bought a house over here in North Devon which will take away so much stress in the next coming eleven months. Its a lovely two story house with a large garden perfect for my cat and dog and its already been decided that the old garage will be renovated into a small studio for me to work in on my costumes!
Work Schedule for 2016
This is a little repetitive but it gives you an idea of the order I will be making costumes this year.
The first costume I will be starting on is the Demongaze Death Knight Armour from World of Warcraft.
I ordered my black worbla from Cosplay Supplies in the Jumbo (XL) sheet size. They got my shipping address wrong on the first payment slip/receipt so make sure you check that if you order from them!! I wouldn’t have gotten the worbla had they used the original address. Because the site is based in America the cost of shipping gets worse the further away you are so I ended up spending $50 on the cheapest shipping method.
My wallet hates me, I hate me.
I’ll be starting on the breastplate first but I’m also really excited to start on the sword Frostreaper which I will be making from 3 layers of 6mm EVA with dowel running down the center for support. This costume is aimed to be worn at Wellington Armageddon Expo (Now NZ Comicon) June 6th. This gives me six months to work on this costume. Lots of time!
In my textiles class I should be starting on the Young Girl’s Lose Gown.
I have all the fabric to get started on the final product I just need corset material and the material I will use to drape draft the pattern up to scale which will most likely be Top Pop Poplin. I’m thinking about looking online for the lace I want to go around the neckline and sleeves as I can find any nice samples. I’m hoping to be able to make the dress alongside the gown but as I will be working on Demongaze its not likely I will be able to.
At some point before Autumn I will make the dress from the painting Ophelia by Georges-Jules-Victor Clairin. I want the photo shoot to happen in Autumn so I can best match the background of the painting. This dress will also count as a historical dress which is a great bonus because my portfolio lacks historical components at the moment. I adore the color and style of this dress and am really looking forward to the photo shoot!
I will likely make Sansa’s dress for my second project in my Fashion and (but not limited to costumes) Textiles class. That is of course if it meets the standard requirements. I really love Sansa’s dresses and decided I had to make one! It also counts as a historical-ish dress which is great as that is my focus for the year. At the moment I’m thinking of printing fabric myself so I’m looking into methods of doing that at the moment.
Celaena, Queen of Shadows. I love the Throne of Glass series (And recommend it if you enjoy fantasy novels with awesome kick ass female assassins, the books are amazing!) and have debated cosplaying Celaena for a while (more about that in an earlier post). I’ll use left over worbla for this cosplay and am planing to wear it to Auckland Armageddon expo in October.
That’s the schedule for 2016 now for the task of making all that and sticking to it! I’ll be home officially tomorrow, after unpacking I want to start patterning the breastplate and roll out my 6mm eva foam so it will be flat and ready to cut once the patterns are drawn for that. I’m now considering going for 4 layers of eva for the sword, fingers crossed I have enough foam for that with the blade being about 1m in length (That’s the measurement in my head and I will confirm that later.
Thank you all for reading and here’s to 2016!